Peng-Yu Chen, aka Jay Chen is a quick learner with a detail-oriented mindset, dedicated to completing all assigned challenges. The experience of two part-time jobs in both a research-oriented start-up and a market-oriented company enables him to develop the essential skills for being a qualified and reliable software engineer. Peng-Yu is highly adaptive to new environments and different cultures, humble to embrace diversity.
iOS Software Engineer
Develop an iOS application for the gay community.
- Partner with product managers and quality assurance engineers to develop features and the user interface.
- Implement MVVM structures through RxSwift’s data binding and Swift’s protocol-oriented programming.
- Improve efficiency and flexibility through migrating legacy code from Objective-C to modern Swift standards.
Wrote scientific computing progarms to create shoe pads.
- Developed object-oriented programs in C++ to calculate feet arch’s parameters of customers for manufacturing specific shoe pads to treat physiological ailments such as plantar fasciitis, hallux valgus, and flat feet.
- Established backend APIs by Amazon Web Services (AWS), allowing the frontend to call these APIs for correcting wrongly measured data.
- Stored, retrieved, and manipulated more than 1,000 data sets of feet’s parameters for close analysis with Django.
Research Assistant, Advisor: Tung-Wu Lu
Trained deep learning models for predicting postures in videos.
- Achieved 91% accuracy on categorizing 20 sports actions in videos via OpenPose library in Caffe.
- Cooperated with orthopedists and physical therapists to analyze 3D data of bones.
Undergraduate Research Assistant, Advisor: Ming Ouhyoung
Customized a VR environment simulating cataract surgeries.
- Established an environment by .NET Framework and C# in Unity that allows ophthalmologists to simulate a cataract surgery.
- Cooperated with ophthalmologists to do user study and adjust the parameters of Unity’s environment.
GitHub Pages: open source algorithms reference
- Help 280,000+ people learn algorithms according to Google Analytics.
- Maintain the website’s content, review pull requests, and resolve issues in my GitHub repository regularly.
- Implement CLRS pseudocode in C++ that strictly follows coding convention.
Full-stack web app to help people track the statistics of coronavirus disease (COVID-19)
- Implemented the functions to track the statistics of COVID-19 within three degrees.
- Developed the algorithm to calculate statistics by depth-first search algorithm and caching mechanism.
- Designed the web frontend by React.js and deployed the backend APIs through Firebase’s Cloud Firestore.
Grindr iOS App’s feature: making a backup of chat data
- Designed the backup view controller’s UI/UX by RxSwift framework and MVVM structure.
- Established a CRUD interface of Apple’s CloudKit by closures and the Encodable and Decodable protocol in Swift.
Grindr iOS App’s feature: muting a specific user
- Cooperated with a backend engineer and designed the feature that allows users to mute a specific user.
Full Stack web app to send surveys to people
- Implemented OAuth login and RESTful APIs by Node.js and MongoDB; rendered frontend by React.js; deployed by Heroku.
- Integrated Stripe API for billing functionality; handled webhook data by SendGrid for mailing service.